Friday, April 29, 2011

Truth, Justice and... Somebody's Way?

So, Superman is renouncing his American citizenship and, in a twist of fate that makes me extremely happy, people are having a shit-fit about it. This makes me happy, because even after all this time, people care about Superman. People care about comics. The characters are iconic and really impact people. So truth, justice and the American Way is no more. I guess it's truth, justice and humanity's way? Earth's way? The United Nations way?

I don't like this. I didn't really like Superman Returns because it made Superman too untouchable, too divine, too much of a metaphor for Jesus for my liking. Superman needs to be human. He needs to be flawed and in touch with his humanity- that struggle, which defines the character in my book is what made Smallville some truly great television. At least the first five or six seasons of it. I don't know about seasons six through five hundred and twenty two. Seriously- is that show ever going to end?

At the end of the day, I'd like to think that Superman's appearance at a protest in Tehran with young people protesting against their tyrannical government is as American as apple pie. We're supposed to be about democracy, freedom and justice and all that crap. The 'last full measure of devotion' as Lincoln called it- a better story would be Superman getting STRIPPED over his American citizenship by a craven, weak, spineless government. And it doesn't matter if you're Republican or Democrat- I think we can agree that the government we have now is spineless and weak. It don't matter what party is in charge.

So, on the face of it: big deal. I don't think it's all that creative- Captain America renounced his citizenship back in the 70s for a bit, so what's the big deal. I think the biggest problem I have with this is that Superman is struggling as a character. Smallville works because it's relatable. The latest Superman movie have portrayed him as this almost divine figure. I prefer to imagine him struggling to understand and relate to his humanity. It makes him more human. Having him renounce his American citizenship only cuts ties to the one concrete bit of humanity he has left. He should have been expelled from America and stood up for how great America could be. The ideal America which seems to be so far away in these days of nonsense...

No comments:

Post a Comment