Monday, April 4, 2011

Ooooh, Sexy...

The Gazette is floating this suddenly sexy possibility for a potentially new 2nd Congressional District (assuming the First Plan is approved): Loebsack v Vilsack?

That's former Iowa First Lady Christie Vilsack that is! She hails from Mt. Pleasant and Loebsack hails from Linn County- but has pronounced himself willing to move to avoid going up against First District Incumbent Bruce Braley.

I like this idea. I like it a lot, actually. Christie Vilsack, from my limited knowledge of her resume looks to be a very accomplished woman and as first lady she lead a statewide literacy intitiave which I totally approve of- and I think she'd be a far more dynamic and exciting candidate that Loebsack would. No offense to our Congressman, but I'm not really all that enthusiastic about him. He tends to fade into the background and pop up every couple of years just to remind you that he's still around- and maybe that's the best thing for a politician to do, but I'd like a touch more dynamism. Or if he is doing awesome things (which he might well be) it'd be nice to get a memo or something, that way I know and don't prejudge the guy for looking like a seat-filler.

But, the even sexier (and just as an aside: I don't mean 'sexy' in a gendered type of way. I mean 'sexy' in a weird, nerdy way of saying 'coooooool.') possibility looms that if Christie Vilsack wants and/or gets the nod, she could well be going up against Dr. Mariannette Miller-Meeks (presuming she wants a third try at this) and then, finally, FINALLY Iowa could send one of two extremely qualified women to Congress.

That is something I can get excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment