Sunday, April 10, 2011

Color Me Excited

...OK kids. Small confession to make here: I'm a recovering Trekkie. Or Trekker. Whatever the correct term is- but in the distant realms of my spotty youth, I did carry quite the torch for Star Trek. There were books. There were posters. There were episode guides. It wasn't all that pretty and when I was watching the Mr. Bean movie and realized that Harris Yulin was in the movie and suddenly realized what episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine he had guest-starred in (there have been several, before any over zealous fan boy/girl sends me a list) I decided that might have a problem.

So, reluctantly, I stepped back. I live maybe 10 minutes away from Riverside, Iowa the future birthplace of Captain James T. Kirk and I've never once been to TrekFest. (I might- might have to remedy that this year.) And in general, I can enjoy Star Trek now, but not obsess over it. Deep Space Nine is probably one of the grittiest pieces of science fiction space opera that's been on television ever. You have to appreciate the original series if for no other reason that the first interracial kiss on network television was groundbreaking to say the least. And The Next Generation? Well, come on now: Patrick Stewart- total badass. Things went a bit wobbly with Voyager, but the quality stayed high. Enterprise: sucked balls.

And now, every single episode is coming to Netflix Instant. Kick. Ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment