Tuesday, April 5, 2011

No Ring For Wills

Hmmm... apparently Prince William won't be wearing a wedding ring.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Certainly, it's inspired a lot of controversy and discussion and at the end of the day it comes down to whatever personal choices the couple wishes to make, but I would tend to vote in favor of a wedding ring. Maybe I'm secretly a traditionalist, but it never occured to me not to wear one. I know some people hyphenate their names or some women keep their maiden name instead of taking their husband's last name and that tends to be thought of in some circles as a hip, modern thing to do, but not wearing a wedding ring?

To me, it's weird, because it's a big deal and yet not a big deal at the same time. I haven't been married that long in the grand scheme of things, so I barely notice the ring anymore, yet feel oddly naked without it on and I really do think of it as a symbol of a marriage. Yet there's also so much more to a successful marriage than a simple ring.

And that's really where the discussion ends if you think about it. Every marriage is unique and to make marriage work you need more than a ring. It's sappy, but it's about your committment to your spouse more than anything else. And if Wills and Kate have that (which I think they do) they'll be fine- rings or no rings.

No comments:

Post a Comment