Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Civil War Sesquicentennial Begins

Charleston held (and I believe is holding) commemeorations today marking the start of the Civil War, 150 years ago today with the attack on Ft. Sumter. Union troops held out for 36 hours before surrendering the fort to Confederate forces and amazingly, there were only two casualities: a Confederate horse and one Union soldier who died with a gun misfired as surrendering Union troops fired off a salute to the Union flag.

Kids, I'll give you fair warning: it's entirely possible that I'll spend the next four years in a giddy state of historical nerd-excitement and might turn into a fully fledged Civil War buff. I'm already scanning Mapquest.com to see if a trip to Gettysburg might be possible on our way back from Philadelphia later this summer and there are some Civil War sites like Shiloh or Vicksburg that are probably closer still. As I'm going to be 78 when the bicentennial rolls around in 2061, I'd like to soak up everything I can while I still have both my hips in good working order.

No comments:

Post a Comment