Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Wrench In The Monkey Suit

The Missus is working out right now, so I have to wait my turn and go through my morning schizo mood swings about working at TLCA. This morning was awesome. I got to sleep in, see the love of my life for more than like a minute before I dropped her off at work and now I get to work out and hopefully set up two lifeboats so I can float on out of TLCA once and for all.

It's not that I think it's a bad job. I think once I take a few calls and do the whole Financial Aid schpeel, I will get it down pat and probably do OK at it. It's just that I hate the hours (again, the whole not seeing the woman I love thing on a decent basis makes me cranky. I'm not asking for much- but dinner would be nice at the very least.) and I hate the attendance bonus (that's right. Don't believe their bullshit about $10 an hour- that's only if you show up Monday thru Friday. I really only get paid $7.50 an hour. The extra $2.50 is supposed to give me incentive to show up. If I get sick or have a legitimate excuse, I lose a quarter of my check for the week. That, to me is total bullshit. I understand that they need people to work the phones, but if you treat your employees like shit then they won't want to work for you. This attendance bonus is reason enough for me to get the hell out of dodge as fast as possible. And that's what I have to tell myself every. single. day. 'I'm not staying here long.')

That's my mantra. I have to believe it, because if I don't, then work just becomes 8 hours of hell that toils away and eats your soul alive. So I am getting out of there. ASAP. That's my promise to me.

Thing #3 to be schizo about today: professional dress day. Apparently, it's not enough for the corporate types to entertain the corporate types and have a big monkey suit convention of their own, but we all have to do it so we can impress the client and land TLCA another big account which they can then use as an excuse to screw people with their retarded attendance bonus thing. As an outsourced company, we have no rights to begin with- but as an outsourced company, the higher-ups need to land more accounts. So we get treated like shit, even though we're just as good as internal folks sometimes and we have to entertain these people who view us as little more than expendable.

That doesn't sit well with me. I mean, I know business dress is an inevitability at some point in my work life, but really- I don't like putting on a show for people who will happily fire my ass if they don't like something. Anything. Or if I smell bad. You know? It grates at me a little bit. I like give and take, personally. I work my butt off for you- I'll wear a monkey suit (complete with tie) and you better appreciate my hard work, you know? I mean, without grunts, there's no company. And if you can't retain good grunts, then you're just going to have revolving door of crap people and that doesn't do you any good either, you know?

Whining over. Last day of training today though. Tomorrow... phones!

Chins up, shoulders back, stiff upper lips!
WE WILL PERSEVERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment