Friday, February 13, 2009

New Job Chronicles: Day 5a

So when you're driving out of town in the middle of an increasingly vicious snowstorm, you almost skid off the road four times before you get anywhere the interstate- and you get stuck on a hill that's a solid sheet of ice...

And it's Friday the 13th--

Go the heck home. Someone is trying to tell you something.

Part of me thinks its feels like 'STRIKE ONE'. I mean, I'm walking away from the Cedar Rapids Police Department without even knowing whether or not I could cut it. Another part of me knows that a written test might not have been a problem, but no way can I run a mile and a half in 12.51. Or do 29 push-ups. Not yet- maybe in a month or so, but not now. I was viewing CR as a practice test- a way to see what the process was like and to get a feel for it. So by not going, I didn't lose anything much.

Plus, it's worth noting that the weather outside is vicious- this snowstorm is worse than expected (more than one inch that's for sure) and it started out as drizzle, which froze as the temperature dropped and it started to snow. So you have a sheet of ice underneath soft snow- not heavy, wet snow- the slick stuff. Put it all together and it equals potential disaster.

Next week- in fact, maybe even tomorrow, I'll start trying to work out every single day- and maybe work my way up from 5.5 miles an hour on the treadmill to 6- and work my way from running 12.51 all the way up to a mile and a half. Gradually, slowly but surely, I'll get there. And even if I don't get there- I'll sure as hell get buff. And that ain't nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment