Thursday, February 19, 2009

Vision Statement

I want to work in Washington D.C., either in the employ of an interest government agency and/or a think-tank dedicated to trying to make the country better. (Or at an NGO that is dedicated to making a difference in the world itself.) I picture a townhouse in somewhere like Georgetown (or wherever that neighborhood was in the opening of Minority Report.)

Five years of that, then a PHD, a professorship, a chase for tenure, research, writing tons of books- both fiction and non-fiction and then an MFA in Creative Writing (preferably from the University of Iowa) and then I'd like to do a stint teaching Social Studies at my old high school. (After that, retirement, scotch, travel, grandchildren and lots of good television shows, reading and cards in my twilight years.)

There. I've got it all down on paper. Now all I have to do is make it happen- and that is my goal over the course of the next few months. The Federales are notoriously slow when it comes to hiring- but I gots the skills to get there. I'll go ahead with the cop stuff and if I get that, then I get that- it's a dream deferred, not a dream denied. But:

1. Washington D.C. job.
2. The University of Iowa Police Department
3. Another job in Eastern Iowa somewhere- ACT, etc.
4. A job elsewhere.

Them is my preferences. This is my vision.

Let's make it happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment