Sunday, February 15, 2009

New Job Chronicles Day 7

I feel like tacking into the wind. I love writing and I love languages. I want to use both again and find not just a job to ride out the economic storm winds. I have one life and I don't want to waste time looking for solid work. I want something that I love to do- that makes me excited to get out of bed in the morning and go to work and I want that something to pay my bills and I'm tired of compromising on what I want.

Lets be clear: I'm a good worker. Anything I do, I'll be competent at- even good at. That's just who I am. And economic times like these are scary as hell- but I don't want to cower in a storm cellar for the next five years while the storm passes. I want to run out into it and fly. Because I can. I'm smart, I'm intelligent and I'll be damn good at whatever I do.

Being a cop at the University would be amazing. Being a cop in Webster City would be fine. Be a Sheriff's Deputy for Johnson County would be damn good work experience. They'd be jobs to pay the bills and they'd let me get a house, a life- even a kid and do what I love on my days off- namely write. It's a sensible, logical path to follow. But it's not the only path to follow. Starting tomorrow, I'm on a new path. To break into journalism and write. To break into politics and make a difference for some candidate somewhere- whether it's just shuffling papers or it's actually giving them my honest opinions on how they can be better and how to make the country better.

I have the best degree in the world. It'll let me do anything.

So I'm going to do everything. And wherever happens, happens.

The storm has broken- and I'm tacking into the wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment