Wednesday, February 11, 2009

New Job Chronicles: Day 3

I just applied to be an admissions counselor with the University of Iowa. Probably another job application that's going to get me squat in the way of a response. It's easy, I think to get discouraged about the job market and the economic news, but patience, faith and the law of large numbers are on my side. And I think pretty much everyone can say the same thing. Problem is that the numbers may be a little larger than usual, given everyone flooding the job market these days.

Prayer helps. It's odd to say that, but I'm finding it to be increasingly true. I've always felt that prayer was something that could be highly individual and you could choose whatever method you felt was best for you. It's that feeling you get when you talk (or think) at your ceiling at night and you get the strange feeling that someone out there is listening. Whether anyone is or not is a matter for an entirely different series of blog posts. But I find that a minor conversation with any potential deity (or deities) generally makes me feel a little more peaceful inside before I head into work.

Faith is a follow-on from that. I am too qualified, too smart and entirely too good to be working at this call center forever. I am too driven and too ambitious. Ali worries sometimes- as do I, that we'll be stuck in neutral forever and never get started with our lives, but I refuse to believe that. At least this week. I am not stopping until I get that job and get us moving forward with our lives- because I don't want to work at this call center one minute longer than is necessary. (Though there is a rapidly emerging virtue from the call center- the days do go by quickly. There's not a lot of room for boredom and someday, I'll get the hang of timing my last calls of the night just right.)

The law of large numbers is also on my side. The more jobs I apply for, the higher the probability I'm going to find one. That's just the way it works, so I intend to apply for all and sundry and everything I can get my hands on.

There's also the question of firefighting. I saw today in the paper that two veterans of the Iowa City Fire Department are retiring and I believe that they're getting ready to plan another fire station here soon- so maybe I should do the cop thing and the fireman thing and see which one I get- I'll have to see what the requirements are, how to apply and what ridiculous training regimen I have to put myself through and I think also I'll have to take a hard look at the notion of rushing into burning buildings as part of my average work day. I'm just not sure how I feel about that.

But, the work continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment