Monday, February 9, 2009

The Good Old Days

Ah, the good old days.

I miss journalism. It's strange to say that, but I shyed away from it because I didn't like the idea of constantly writing under a deadline. It's sharp, tight writing is journalism and I wanted room to 'stretch my legs' so to speak and really do some hardcore writing.

Seven years or so later, I begin to wonder if I shouldn't have given journalism a harder look. I am happiest when I'm writing and a job that helps me to do that would have been awesome- yet an ad I found online for the Ottumwa Courier for a reporter I saw that it only paid 20-25,000 a year. Hmmm, I'm thinking that it might not pay that well in the long run. But I miss it. The thrill of the chase, the pursuit of the story- the long nights in Newslab putting together the paper, eating junk food, pizza, diet coke and altoids and then walking home through the jock lot, illuminated perfectly in the lights of the lot. So many perfect memories have stayed with me from those walks home. The silence as snow fell through the lights, covering the parking lot- it was so quiet you could hear everything across the city, and see the lights of downtown as you walked out of the front doors and took it all in.

I miss it. Maybe someday I'll get back to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment