Friday, February 27, 2009

Double Shot of Feminism

There's this: As a guy, first of all, I think it crass beyond belief to be totally obvious about staring at a woman's chest- but I also have to admit that I'm a guy and guys look at breasts. I think the proper etiquette is to be brief and discreet about it and, above all DON'T GET CAUGHT. And above all- don't mention it in conversation! Good God. If you're going to be a stereotypical, slobbering male, at least be polite and discreet about it. Guys are, after all only human, but that doesn't mean they can't be respectful and discreet when they look at attractive women.

My mild confession on this subject: my freshman year of college when I was an incredibly callow young man with no social skills whatsoever, I was attempting to flirt with a woman who was actually, flirting back a little. At the time, this was a novelty to me- all that came to an end, when, upon noticing she had her cell phone snugly tucked into her cleavage, I 'playfully' asked her what else she kept down there. It was one of those moments where you just knew what you had just said was completely the wrong thing to say and every possible comeback completely vanished out of my head and I just figured the best thing to do at that point was to run away and find a corner to die in from mortification. Oddly enough (not really though), I never saw her again- but took some comfort from the fact that it could have been worse. I could have asked her if she had her phone set on vibrate.


Then there's this
: this dude is a douchebag. No other word for it. No, women who breastfeed aren't 'sows', but yes, at the same time (I think Miss Manners would back me up on this) it's a lot cooler, when you're in public to use a blanket. If the D-Bags point was that people should use a blanket when breastfeeding in public, then he picked an incredibly shitty and sexist way to make it. But somehow, I don't think that was his point- I think he was just calling breastfeeding women sows.

Douche. Bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment