Friday, August 19, 2011

Something New Downtown

Someone in Iowa City is actually thinking. I'm surprised... I guess there's a burger joint opening upstairs in the Old Capitol Mall. It's got it's eyes on franchising if successful- and I guess they steam the meat in a closed griddle? Oh, the weirdness!

And they don't have fries, apparently. Just chips. So I don't know what to think about that. But either way- it's a strangely intelligent move by someone- and hopefully Iowa City gives it a big vote of confidence. Although Shorts Burger and Shine will always serve the needs of a great burger, Iowa City hsa been without a good old fashioned fast food type of burger joint for far too long. (Burger King is now D.C.'s and Hardees- which I have to admit was a shitty Hardees was replaced by Brothers). Anyway, they're keeping it a big old secret b/c I didn't hear about it until today- and then, it was random happenstance that I did so...

I found some vague details on the web (seriously people, get wise to the interwebs- fast!) and will for sure give it a go when I get the chance. It's nice to see new businesses open up downtown that there's actually a little bit of room for.

(Editor's Note: lest some wrathful townie object, I know George's Burgers are supposed to be the BEST burgers in town- but I haven't gotten to try them yet and really, George's is in the Northside Neighborhood, not downtown. That might be splitting hairs- but that's the way I'm going to define it.)

It's nice to see, but let's follow it up with tangible progress. There's space down here for the development of shopping and a touch of retail if they play it right. Free parking on weekends would be a damn good start- ramps and meters- but I've heard whispers of chains like Urban Outfitters- that would be a nice, hip choice for downtown. Chains that are a little more counter-culture and not quite so plastic would fit in well- and retail that Coralville doesn't have, we should agressively try and get down here.

The key word there of course is agressively- and if they don't do the free parking on weekends, it'll all go to shit in a handbasket- because given a choice between paying to park and shop or driving to Coralville and parking for free, people will park for free.

No comments:

Post a Comment