Sunday, August 14, 2011

Albums2010 #46: Feed The Animals


Girl Talk was down at the IMU probably about a year, maybe 2 years ago now and seemed to be wildly popular. I never knew exactly what Girl Talk was all about, but in the spirit of adventure, I figured 'what the hell' and dug up one of his albums on Spotify and gave it a whirl.

The result was... strange. But not in any way bad. That may seem odd, but if you take into account the fact that Girl Talk is in fact, a dude with a laptop and an active imagination that pretty much dabbles in mash-ups more than anything else, it makes sense. I'd heard of mash-ups before, of course- I doubt many people in the digital age haven't heard of the phenomenon, but I'd never actually stumbled across an artist dedicated to them so entirely.

And it's... a strange experience. But kind of fun, the more you listen to it. It's tailor made for a fast moving, ass kicking game of music trivia- can you name all the artists he uses? (Right now I'm working my way through the track 'In Step' which has just jumped from the Travelling Wilburys to Nirvana and then to The Gap Band and a weird blend of the Black Eyed Peas and Earth Wind and Fire. All within about 20 seconds or so.) Despite the weirdness, it works. It reads like a techno album in many ways, just one song seamlessly blending into another and so on and so forth.

I wish I could add more. It's not like there's one song that stick outs above the others- the sheer joy of this music is that it's every possible song you could imagine all smashed together and turned into something new. A little strange, perhaps, but still enjoyable.

Overall ** out of ****: Perhaps a little avant garde for my taste, but it's an interesting experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment