Monday, August 8, 2011

Sexism and Newsweek

What is it with Newsweek and female politicians? Lest The Quiet Man's radar for my supposed Bachmann loving start beeping again, I'd like to preface this by pointing out that Newsweek has done the same thing to Hillary Clinton- and Sarah Palin and now they've given Michelle Bachmann crazy eyes for their cover. And a somewhat unflattering headline: 'The Queen of Rage?' Makes it sound like she's leading a death metal band.

I find Bachmann's views detestable and I won't vote for her in either the caucuses or a general election, should she get that far- but even if you don't agree with people, I still think sexism is sexism no matter how you put it and whether you agree with the views a politician holds are not, they all deserve to be treated the same way. Male politicians would get a dignified patrician like pose of some kind. Newsweek seems to think that all female politicians are worthy of bad photoshop jobs.

And that's sad, because it's just another sign of Newsweek's sad decline in recent years. I remember when I actually looked forward to getting that magazine in the mail and waiting until my Dad had released it from his clutches before I could snatch it up and absorb the political cartoons or the Conventional Wisdom each week. Now it's just a shadow of it's former self. (And eventually my now uber-Conservative Dad moved onto US News and World Report which is such a crap news mag it isn't true and I fell in love with The Economist.)

(And yes, I did use a Michelle Malkin link. I'm sorry.)

No comments:

Post a Comment