Sunday, July 10, 2011

USA 2, Brazil 2 (US Wins 5-3 on PKs)

Wow. Wow. Wow. Amazing- flippin' UNBELIEVABLE! I'm on my third 16 hr shift in a row this week and what I just saw has me completely awake and totally pumped. To whit (and if you weren't watching, shame on you! And don't even try to tell me that soccer isn't a sport!): the US was ahead 1-0 most of the game before getting a pretty harsh red card and conceding a penalty. GK Hope Solo saved that PK, but in a titanically awful decision, Brazil get a second shot at it because the ref 'saw' some movement by Solo of her line. No one else watching around the entire planet saw that movement, btw.

So Brazil goes up 2-1 and the US is down a player. It really looks like curtains for the US, but they play hard, fast, amazing soccer for the rest of regulation and 30 some minutes of overtime before getting a BEAUTIFUL equalizer courtesy of Abby Wombach in the last possible minute of OT.

Then, they won on penalty kicks.

This match had to be one of the most nail-biting, thrill a minute, beautiful things I've ever had the privilege of witnessing. It vaults over the 2009 Iowa-Indiana Football game and yes, I'd say the 1998 England-Argentina grudge match in the World Cup to pretty much be the damnedest thing I've ever seen. Amazing stuff.

Random discussion time, kids: best sporting event you've ever watched/seen in person. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment