Friday, July 29, 2011

1,000

This marks my 1,000th post on this current incarnation of my blogging adventures. There have been others- regrettable short-lived ones that I never really stuck with, but this one I did stick with and I'm glad I did. Looking back over old posts, I'd like to think that I can see a development in the quality of writing that's evolved over the past couple of years and I'm hoping that the few people out there that read this on a regular basis will continue to do so- and tell their friends about it! (Because I too, want to have a giveaway should I get to 100 followers.)

But I poked back through the archive and found some stats:

Began: 2/1/09
Obituaries: 17
Movie/TV Reviews: 21
Album Reviews: 44
Book Reviews: 26
Facebook Notes: 58

There have also been a number of 'features' that I played with and ultimately abandoned for various reasons:

New Job Chronicles: my quest for a new job upon our move down to Iowa City. Obviously discontinued, since I found one.

Wild Whiskey Wednesdays #1: this was a distance cousin of my original whiskey review feature 'Hooch, Man' It was abadoned due to a lack of whiskey and I think will become, once again, 'Hooch, Man'

Big Night Out: Was going to chronicle/review various bars and restaurants the Missus and I happened to visit. Hopefully I can do more of these.

Guilty Pleasure Wednesdays: are just what they sound like. Yet I only did one of them... hmmm... Maybe they'll come back too.

Television You Should Be Watching: merged with my movie reviews... (technically now movie/TV reviews)

Dispatches from Studio Arts: brief chronicle of the late shift out at Studio Arts- now retired, since I moved up to Dispatch.

Required Reading: an odd little feature. I might play with it again.

As you can see, the first 1,000 posts here at The Cigar contained a lot of experimentation that didn't go anywhere as I was trying to find something of a voice- I think I'm gotten more of an idea of my 'voice' so to speak, but I think there's still work to do. I love music, movies, TV and books, so expect to see more reviews of those- and as a political science major, I keep an eye on international and national events, so expect commentary on those as well. I think I've done a better job and injecting more local news into The Cigar, but I think an interview here or there could really help build readership.

If I do have a goal for the next 1,000 posts it's to build more of a local presence and get some regular readership built up- I also want to get my camera back up and running so you guys see more photos on the blog and maybe even play with vid-blogging now and again. I think 1,000 posts from now, I'll be able to look back and see even more development as I strive to make this blog as relevant and enjoyable as possible for everyone who reads it.

thanks for the support, these past 1,000 posts.
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment