Friday, July 29, 2011

Atheists Sue...

...over WTC 'cross.'

Sigh. I'm perfectly willing to respect the right of any individual not to believe in God- or to believe in God or many Gods or Mother Earth or whatever works for you, but (and I'm sorry about this) Atheists can just get so tiresome after awhile.

Why, why, why, do you have to sue over every little tiny mention of God? Isn't there room for everybody to just get along? If they want a plaque or an atheist symbol of some kind, I'm totally cool with that, but in this case, I don't think they've got a leg to stand on.

It'd be different of someone had physically made this 'cross' out of the wreckage of the WTC. But they didn't. The fact of the matter is that this was a fused steel beam that just happened to be in the shape of a religious symbol. And in the aftermath of September 11th, when people I'm sure we're looking to find some meaning or comfort, the sight of a recognized religious symbol being pulled from the wreckage probably proved to be quite comforting to a lot of people. If someone had made it, I'd probably be down with the Atheists and their lawsuit- but since it was just a random piece of wreckage it can be interpreted as such by non-believers and interpreted as something else by believers.

Why then do these atheists buy into the symbology of the religion they seem to despite? Why not just insist that's it's a piece of the WTC?

Sigh...

Really, I think we should just have a National Atheist Day and be done with it. I don't think they'd be quite so litigious if they had their own holiday.

1 comment:

  1. Being an Agnostic.. not quite Atheist..even I am on your side of this fight. My biggest pet peeve when it comes to religion is how pushy some people can be about it, but this is perfect example of how atheists are doing the exact same thing. There is a HUGE world around us and plenty of room for different opinions. I also don't understand why people can't just agree to disagree and get along. I can believe what I want to believe, they can believe what they want to believe and in the end, we're all still humans just trying to live our lives the best we can. There's really not so much difference between all of us when you look at it like that.

    ReplyDelete