Saturday, July 23, 2011

It's A Bird, It's A Plane...

It's SUPER CONGRESS! RUN FOR YOUR DAMN LIVES!

I hate this idea. I hate this idea with every single fiber of my being- creating some silly, unelected cross-chamber panel to pass a debt ceiling increase? Mother of Cheeseballs, people- get off your asses and do your damn jobs!

I hate this idea, but I get it. It's a way of essentially creating a commission that is not quite as accountable and vulnerable to the attacks of special interests and allows them to make unpopular decisions with a simple majority and make some tough calls to secure the fiscal future of the country.

But it's also worth noting that if the political class would get off it's ass and actually act like grown-ups, we could achieve much the same thing. Everybody knows we have a spending problem in Washington. Everybody knows we need some kind of reform to our entitlements. Everybody knows that the Federal Government is too damn big- and as much as I appreciate the New Deal and the Great Society, our contemporary government is not up to the task. (Remember Hurricane Katrina? Do we really want the government expanding its role in our lives?)

I suppose if the alternative is a default and a massive economic clusterf**k, then I guess I can reluctantly go along with this. But results count! Creating a 'Super Congress' that does nothing will not endear the political class to the people of this country- and given the fact that most voters seem to hold the political class (at least on the national level) in a great deal of contempt as it is, making the situation worse can only bode ill for the country.

If you must do it, get something damn well done.

No comments:

Post a Comment