Friday, January 21, 2011

The Mother Of All Repeals

If you hadn't heard, House Republicans successfully repealed the Obama Administration's Health Care Bill- but what's getting less play is that they've also begun the long process of replacing said bill with something they would believe to be better.

The cynic in me says it will be a very looooooooooooooooong process indeed and I'll believe they're going to replace it when I actually see a bill- which underlines my problem with the whole 'repeal and replace' notion the Republicans were frothing about during the elections to begin with. What are they going to replace it with? I want specifics! I'd like to see charts and I'm talking like national town hall meeting, Ross Perot type charts showing every single American in plain, simple and easy to understand terms just what the GOP's magic replacement health care bill is going to do for them that Obama's wouldn't.

[The cynic in me interrupts to say: Bwahahahahahahahahaha! Good luck with that!]

Health care is tough for me. There's a lot I don't know and what I do know is pretty vague. I do know that something has to be done. I do know that I'd prefer less government bureaucracy (I've seen the NHS in Britain and it may be free, but Americans simply will not pay the taxes to fund a government run single payer system. It's a liberal wet dream that will never happen- and just because it's 'free' doesn't necessarily mean it's good. People should remember that before holding hands and singing The Internationale.) I know that the partisan, non-transparent entirely crappy way the Democrats passed their Health Care Bill pissed me off royally- and the backdoor deals with the phamaceutical industry and the tons of goodies for special interests were downright rage-inducing topped off by the fact that no one read the damn bill to begin with damn near made me stroke out right then and there. 'It's a start' was the somewhat snide chorus I heard from my staunchly Democratic friends, and yes, well maybe it was a start- but this is people's health we're talking about here. We're talking about a huge sector of the economy that holds actual real lives in it's hands every single day. Yes, the festering turd of a special interest packed bill passed by the Democrats was indeed a start.

My point was and remains: it wasn't a very good one.

(And with something as important as this, getting it right the first time should be what matters the most.)

No comments:

Post a Comment