Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Last Can of Soda

Moments ago, I drained the last drops from my last can of soda. Part of moving in to 2011 was to actually follow through on some New Year's Resolutions for once in my life and that included working out (definitely doing that) and getting healthier (might still be working on that a little.) So apart from starting regular exercise, I had to look at my diet as well and I decided something had to go- and soda moved to the top of the list.

Soda has been a stalwart friend to me for years now- the benign drug of choice for college students crashing deadlines on midterms and final papers- but lately, whether it was getting up earlier and earlier in the morning I found myself drinking more and more of the stuff, which inevitably added a pound or two here and there. I'm not saying I'll never drink soda ever again- there are still the dregs of some two liters around the house to be dealt with, but I'm going to do my best not actually go out of my way to buy it.

It may be a drop in the proverbial bucket, but I think I'll have more success limiting my caffeine and soda intake than I will my carb intake. I bless my mother and her bread-making skills often- because she does make amazing bread, but she made me a boy that loves his carbs from Day 1- and that will never, ever go away I think. I tried the South Beach Diet with everyone (this was when the wifey and I were living with the parents before we got our own place) and I just couldn't do it. After a week, I was so tired of pieces of turkey shoved into bits of lettuce. I wanted substance. I wanted taste. I didn't want bland green nothingness. (Though as an aside: salad with sunflower seeds, baco bits and lots of dressing and crutons is actually pretty tasty. I might become a salad eater for the first time ever if they continue to taste that good.)

So while I'm not even going to bother swinging at the windmill that is my carb intake, I just thought I'd note the passing of my soda addiction…

Ahhhh… one last drop.

No comments:

Post a Comment