Saturday, January 8, 2011

General Vang Pao 1929-2011

Prominent Hmong leader General Vang Pao has died- and his body will be brought to Minnesota for a public viewing for the Hmong community there.

Always a controversial figure with allegations of gun-running and drug smuggling stalking him these past few years, General Vang Pao nonetheless remained a respected leader of his community until his death a few days ago. I wish I knew more about the Hmong- and given the amount of time I spent in Minnesota, it's kind of sad I didn't- but the fact that the United States government was so willing and able to allow so many to come to the United States after being loyal allies to the United States during the Vietnam War always struck me as an incredibly decent thing for our government to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment