Monday, January 10, 2011

Chinese Moms

Certain corners of the Interwebs are abuzz over this piece (entitled 'Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior')- and predictably, some people aren't all that pleased with it.

Kids, read and discuss amongst yourselves. I can't say I have any complaints about my white, British parents- they had rules, they had structure and I'm not a felon or a murderer or in jail. That's a pretty good benchmark of success of parenting in my book- though not being a parent yet, it's hard to say what exactly my perspective will be when mini-Tomalis do come along. Maybe all parents want their kids to be awesome and amazing and the Chinese ones are just more hardcore about it, because of well, cultural differences and Confucian filial piety and all that crap.

I'm not sure I buy that- and I don't think you can reduce Chinese parenting- or anyone's parenting to a litany of stereotypes. Structure, rules, love and expectations are, I think the best a parent can do. That's whether they're white, black, hispanic or Asian.

But like I said: read and discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment