Monday, January 3, 2011

January By The Numbers

A New Year brings new resolutions and of course, the old chestnut to 'get in shape' is amongst them. Only this year I actually want to put my foot down and get some effort into getting the job done. One hour and an awesome workout later, I've taken the first step, but it's a long road ahead. Basically, in 2006 when I was leaving Iowa City for the sunny confines of Mankato and graduate school, I didn't have a car. I walked everywhere I could and living near the Fieldhouse, I realized that I was getting home from class around 4 and basically not doing anything for a good three to four hours or so, so I started walking up there and running a mile everyday. Before Mankato (where love, graduate school and the $5 cup night at the local watering hole plus my first car distracted me) I was hovering around the 190 mark. I'd like to get back there this year. So...

The Bad News: 250.2 pounds.

The Good News: Got my membership at Campus Rec and Wellness today.

Favorite Thing: I have no idea what it was called, but it's like a stair-stepper/elliptical/Nordic Track type of dealie. I managed to run a miserable three laps and power walk two more, which left me wheezing and somewhat pessimistic about my future. I found this beauty and a good 20 minutes of sweat ensued. I love it!

January's Track: Fela Kuti's 'Zombie.' A little obscure and 'Eye Of The Tiger' it sure ain't- but it's a monstrous, bad-ass funk jam that lasts 12 glorious minutes and gave me a kick-ass second wind as I was power walking a mile on the treadmill. I kicked it up a notch and blasted through the last of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment