Monday, November 15, 2010

Wow.

Just, wow.

Read the article (linked above) and then tell me you're not saying the exact same thing I am. Wow. I mean, wow- really? Was there some tiny smoke-filled back room where the adderoll dealers met with the plagiarizers and did their unethical deeds? Did I miss that? Where is that? I'd like to know, just out of sheer intellectual curiosity- I'd like to know and more to the point, I'd like to meet some of the people that use these services, because really?

I'm sorry- I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this concept. Maybe I actually paid attention and gave a shit in high school- god, that would be such a relief to learn, since it really felt like high school was a giant waste of my time in many ways, but at least it was free. Why on Earth would you drop a shitload of money into college if you're not even going to do it yourself?

Granted, the writer makes a point: lazy rich kids are always going to be lazy rich kids and the virtue of having money is that you can pay other people to do EVERYTHING. Personally, I think that undermines the whole human experience, but then again I'm poor and naive. Isn't the glory of living in the journey? In the accomplishments you achieve as a human being, no matter how small or how large? I have 47,000 words of a novel written. That's something. I have a Master's Thesis on a shelf in a library somewhere in Mankato,Minnesota- that too is something. In this whole mess of beans we call a world out there, I managed to meet a wonderful woman I want to grow old with. That's something.

What's the point of anything if you're just going to pay other people to do it for you? Maybe it's an outgrowth of the new conglomeration of corporatism and capitalism that seems to have America in a vise... but it just seems like such a massive waste. How can people think like this?

I'm confused.

No comments:

Post a Comment