Monday, November 29, 2010

Wiki-Leaked

Well, the media is abuzz and governments are enraged over the latest document dump to come from Wikileaks. For those not in the know, basically Wikileaks published confidential information alleging governmental or corporate misconduct- supposedly, even though it seems to have a jones for making the American government look foolish as of late. The latest dump consists of nearly 250,000 State Department cables, supposedly confidential and highly embarrassing for the United States government…

Am I fascinated? Sure am… will probably peruse them at my leisure after work.

Do I care much? Sort of? It worries me that the United States government has such a blatant lack of control over confidential information.

Is there a remedy? That is a harder question. I think governments are going to have to invest time and money into playing catch-up with the internet age in this regard and hopefully they are doing just that, but in the meantime, criminal prosecutions would be helpful. I say that from a policy perspective. Philosophically, while anarchist thinkers like Bakunin and Kroptkin fascinate me, I'm not down with the whole 'no more secrets' things that Wikileaks apparently has going. It edges into the creepy, 'I used to be a hacker in the 70s but I got caught and Robert Redford ran away to Canada and now I'm back and I look like Gandhi but with a really weird haircut' type territory.

No comments:

Post a Comment