Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Farewell To An Iowa Icon...

Was listening to the radio yesterday on my way down to pick up the Missus, when Iowa Public Radio ran a piece looking back at the history of Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines,which is slowly being turned into a ballroom/ampitheater type venue... it was an interesting piece, looking way, way back to when the place first opened and talking about the Girls' State Basketball Tournament, the State Wrestling Meet and concerts from the like of Elvis, Janis Joplin and Ozzy Osbourne (I did not know that Ozzy bit the head off the bat in Des Moines! Very cool.)

Either way, it got me a little nostalgic for my high school days and made me wish that I would have trucked down there with some friends to see a game or two- something, so I'd have some tangible memory of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment