Monday, November 15, 2010

James Blunt Stopped WWIII?

With his amazing, mind-blowing musical talents? I have to admit, I blinked when I saw this headline a little bit and thought 'what?' I mean, this is James Blunt who sings the sappy love songs and melts the hearts of women everywhere- not my favorite musical artist, that much is certain, but I give the guy some props, because he does have a good voice.

But I read the article (here) and discovered that Mr. Sappy Love Song was in the British Army for awhile and his unit had actually been ordered to take Pristina Airport from the Russians when the international community stormed into Kosovo in 1999. (Does anyone remember this? NATO gets troops on the ground, then the Ruskies pulled a fast one, took the airport before NATO did and people flipped their shit!) Apparently British General Mike Jackson told onetime Presidential Candidate General Wesley Clark that he wasn't going to start World War III by taking the Airport by force. Given what I would imagine to be massive confusion on the ground, that was probably a good thing on General Jackson's part.

Uber-random that Blunt was there though...

No comments:

Post a Comment