Friday, June 18, 2010

Conference Shuffleboard: The Final Crumbs

--Utah is joining the Pac-10. (As expected and guessed by many.)

--Lou Holtz thinks that Notre Dame should join the Big 10. (I think they eventually will and I think the Big 10 is done expanding until they can get Notre Dame and I'm guessing either Maryland or Syracuse. Still not convinced the Conference wants to go to 16 teams- they've been playing this way to carefully for that. I think 14 teams is where we'll stop, if not 12.)

--Some Houston area lawmakers are supporting the University of Houston to join the Big 12. I think the Big 12 is going to have a think about this- every school is going to get a bigger paycheck with 10 schools, so there's not a lot of impetus, money wise at least right now. But down the road, I think they've got a good shot. Why Dan Beebe wants to let individual schools start their own networks (i.e. Texas) I don't know, since as it stands now, a Big 12 Network could be a leaner, meaner competitor if structured correctly- and it would essentially be, a Longhorns network. Let's not fool ourselves here- it's Texas' show now. But down the road, there are some good options around, if they do want to expand: Tulsa fields some good teams pretty consistently, Memphis if you want to up your basketball and the two obvious Texas schools: TCU and Houston.

No comments:

Post a Comment