Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blackhawks Win 4-2 in OT!


The Chicago Blackhawks won their first Stanley Cup since 1961 tonight, defeating the Philadelphia Flyers 4-2 in OT on a goal that literally nobody saw- at least at first. Replay quickly confirmed Patrick Kane's winning goal and then the party was on...

I don't know what it was about hockey this year, but mark down 2010 as the year I became a fan of hockey. Between the Olympic Tournament and some damn good games in the playoffs leading up to the magical end of one of the longest title droughts in professional sports, it's been fast, exciting and downright thrilling to watch. When I first moved to Minnesota, I learned about and followed hockey in a half-hearted way, keeping an eye on what the Wild were doing (not much then and not much now either) and buying the requisite jersey. I marveled at the scars left upon a generation of Minnesotans by the surprise move of the North Stars to Dallas- and how many North Stars jerseys you can actually find up in Minnesota to this day. And my biggest regret since moving back to Iowa: That the Missus and I never found the time to go see a hockey game.

But consider me hooked, hockey. You've done a damn fine job this season and I think a Blackhawks Jersey (and perhaps a North Stars Jersey as well) will be added to my winter wear in the coming months and/or years...

And, of course- for the Blackhawks and their fans, because they didn't play it Philly:

No comments:

Post a Comment