Sunday, September 4, 2011

Too Much 9/11?

I say yes, EW begs to disagree- and I have to admit, it's for good reason. There is a little bit of a disconnect if people are going to bitch about too much 9/11 anniversary coverage while ignoring the oodles of frankly shit reality television programming that we drown in every other day of the week.

But I don't watch the Real Housewives of anything or Big Brother, so I still think Ken Tucker is wrong. From what I'm sure will be the nauseating amounts of news pontification and coverage in the coming days, it's just too much. Nobody who lived through that day is going to forget it anytime soon, if ever. Coverage should focus on the memorials, be solemn and respectful and then move on. It's everywhere now- from Top40 Radio (I know Demi Lovato's been through some stuff this year, but 'Skyscraper'? Come on now! And performing it in front of a flaming pile of rubble for America's Got Talent? Pretty close to being really offensive.) to every news channel, to news sites, to news everything... and some people are taking issue with it- pointing out that too much white noise diminishes the significance of the event itself.

Personally, I've decided that this will pretty much be the extent of what I'm saying about the Anniversary- and I won't be blogging on September 11th. Anything I have that's worth saying can wait at least a day, I think.

But it still leaves a question: how much is too much coverage, especially for an Anniversary like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment