Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Iowa City School Board Endorsements

Usually like 10 people vote in these elections, but I think I might mosey on over to Mercer Park September 13th and cast my vote because I think any opportunity to vote is a good one and depending on how long the Missus and I are sticking around Iowa City, keeping abreast of the state of Iowa City's schools and their plans for the future is something I should probably start paying more attention to than I have previously.

Of course, the biggest issue looming large over everything is the third high school. Do we need one, when should it be built and where should it go? I'd have to say at a certain point we probably will- though I don't know when it's going to be built, I'd imagine it'd be smack dab between Coralville and North Liberty somewhere when it does show up.

The real issue that interests me is how we're integrating technology into the classroom today. I'd like to see Iowa City make a concerted effort to break down the geographical links between schools and move towards a more open forum, internet based, diverse curriculum. If West High offers AP European History and you leave on the east side and City High offers AP Economics instead, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to take AP European History if you want too. The biggest problem with public education today is its rigid adherence to the 19th Century educational model it was founded on. Whether through it's own voilition or through being swept along by fiscal or technological circumstance, that's going to have to change at some point. It would be nice to have leadership on the board that's at least vaguely aware of the issue and trying to do something about it.

That said- here's my endorsements. (Links to Press-Citizen Candidate Statements are included.)

For the 2 Year At Large Seat: Karla Cook (best math teacher I ever had. I didn't learn squat because I had this sneaking suspicion that when math teachers told me that quadratic equations were something I would use in everyday life they were lying to me- but she had the patience of a saint and managed to pound more math into my head than any other math teacher I had in high school, so props to her. I think her experience in the District will serve the Board well.)

For The Four At Large Seats:
Phil Hemingway- a good guy who's definately an outsider. Outside perspective is always good on these boards.

Bob Porter- a longtime District facilities guy- knows the ins and outs of the machinery that keeps the District running very well. Another perspective worth putting on the board.

Jeff McGinness- has longtime ties to the city and the school district- and he's putting his kids through the District. Shows a good level of commitment.

Sally Hoelscher- seems to be a big believer in proactive policies and long term planning. I like that.

I'm sure anyone who clicks on these links will notice that the candidate statements don't really get into the nitty-gritty of the issues all that much, they're basically a combination of fluff and summary- which is totally OK given the space alloted- but if you're looking for more in-depth coverage, try A Blog About School or John Deeth's local blog both of which look to be pretty comprehensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment