Friday, October 19, 2012

Whisky of the Month #1: The Glen Livet, 12 Years Old

Hey, it mentions something about whiskey at the top of this blog, doesn't it? Well, whiskey was promised and whiskey I shall deliver, kids. I found 1,001 Whiskies You Must Taste Before You Die at Barnes and Noble today- while I think conquering that particular challenge is an expensive and timely proposition, I do plan on meandering through Scotch, Irish, Canadian, Rye, Bourbon to try and fully explore the wild and wonderful world of whiskey.

To assist me in this endeavor, I've armed myself with this (at least for the Single Malts, anyway):


Yes, you read that right, it's Michael Jackson's Malt Whiskey Companion- but it's this Michael Jackson...


...not the other one.

This month's offering is The Glenlivet, 12 years old. It's what I consider to be an 'old reliable' of single malt. I've had it plenty of times before and it's decently priced- a good starter malt. (For the record: this is a Single Malt. Sip this beauty, don't mix it.)


Color: Pale Gold

Nose: Whiskey Master Michael Jackson (the dead white Whiskey Expert, not the King of Pop, an odd coincidence, I know.) says the nose is 'remarkably flowery, clean and soft.' I'm not getting the flowery part but it's certainly clean and soft- a whiff of this isn't going to burn your nose hairs off.

Body: Smooth drinkin'

Palate: Vanilla is there and I'm going to agree with Mr. Jackson that there's a hint of peach lurking in there as well.

Finish: Warms you up nicely without burning on the way down.

Overall: I'd rate this *** out of ****. A nice, solid single malt that's enjoyable and goes down smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment