Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Best of the Area's Annual Insanity

Yes, it's the annual voting period for the Press Citizen's Best of the Area (2012) and things are getting way out of control! I mean, Best Place To Have Kid's Birthday Party? Best Place To Enjoy Nature? I typed out my choices on a Word Document while I voted and single spaced it ran to a page and a half. So here you go, The Cigar's choices for the Best of the Area:

Best New Restaurant: Michoacana Taqueria (serious good tacos- and not at all spendy.)

Best Overall Restaurant: Atlas
Mexican Restaurant: El Banditos
Coffee Shop: T-Spoons
American Food: Short’s
Italian: Givanni’s (putting an asterix in this one. Haven't been to Basta or Baroncini yet and wasn't going to pick the Olive Garden.)

Chinese: Taste of China (I judge my Chinese food on the taste of their crab rangoons, General's Chicken and Orange Chicken. And yes, I still miss Easy Place Chinese Food. Anyone else remember that place?)

Japanese: Oyama
Thai: Thai Spice (LOVE the moo pad prik. And now I'm craving it.)
Indian: Exotic India (Vindaloo! And their buffet isn't bad either.)
Romantic Dinner: Blackstone (Think the Missus and I need to expand our repertoire of romantic dinner spots. Will work on that.)

Family-Friendly: Hamburg Inn
Pizza: Pizza on Dubuque (Went in here not that long ago- and they've raised their game. It was a sentimental choice as POD was my go to post bar food as an undergraduate but they're better than ever and delicious to boot!)

Ice Cream: Heyn’s (East side!)
FroYo: YoTopia (#SupportLocal I ain't no Leaf Peeper- Aspen or Orange!)
Breakfast: Hamburg Inn
Bakery: Yorkshire Lass Bakery (Shameless Plug! IC Peeps, get your orders in!)

Hamburgers: 2Dogs (Another asterix here. Short's has good burgers but 2Dogs has more creativity and I have yet to try George's Buffet.)

French Fries: Oasis
Falafel: Oasis
Best Wings: The Vine
Best Salsa: La Reyna (this was my first eye-rolling moment. I mean, who thinks about salsa?)

Best BBQ: The Pit (Jimmy Jack's and The Pit can trade this back and forth.)
Vegetarian: Oasis
Sushi: Oyama
Margaritas: Los Portales
Martini: Blackstone
Mediterranean: Oasis
Bar: Sanctuary (Think the Quiet Man and I need to get another Townie Bar Challenge in the books...)

Art Gallery: AKAR (Um... OK? AKAR is an interesting place, I guess.)
Festival: Arts Festival
Live Entertainment: Blue Moose (Saw Fun. there with the Missus. Awesome time.)

Tattoo Parlor: Nemesis (Old School Jeff FTW!)
Theater Group: Riverside Theatre (Yeah, this was another random pick.)
Bookstore: Prairie Lights (Haunted Bookstore was a close second, but sentiment wins again and PL is an old haunt.)

Grocery Store: John’s (For the beer, duh.)
Pet Store: Petco (Adopted 2 cats from PetCo. So much better than Petland.)
Women’s Clothing: Revival (Because Von Maur gets NO VOTES FROM ME! Traitors.)
Men’s Clothing: Ewers (See above)
Consignment Store: Ragstock
Gift Shop: Silver Spider
Jewelry Store: Hands
Hardware Store: Menards
Furniture Store: McGregors
Car Dealer: Carousel
Bank: US Bank
Vet: Bright Eyes and Bushy Tails (AWESOME PLACE! Love these guys! Caring, friendly staff and just awesome service.)

Optical Store: Eye Associates
Salon: G-Spot
Barbershop: Hawkeye Barbershop (There are still barbershops?)
Tanning Salon: Electric Sun (At this point in my ballot, I stopped caring.)
Fitness Center: CRWC
Auto Repair: Lovetinsky Harapat (Decent, quick and didn't screw me over.)
Yoga: Heartland Yoga
Dance Studio: Kate Carol & Company
Martial Arts Academy: Hawkeye Brazilian Ju-Jitsu (I've always wanted to learn Capoeira.)

Best Place For A Kid’s Birthday Party: Iowa Gym-Nest (How about this: your own damn house! Seriously?)

Playground: Downtown Ped Mall (I disapprove of the new stuff. The old stuff was so much better- but it's still kind of cool.)

Park: Hickory Hill
Bikes: Geoff’s Bike and Ski
Trail: Hickory Hill
Place To Enjoy Nature: Hickory Hill
Outdoor Store: Active Endeavors
Golf Course: Finkbine (Because I play LOTS of golf. Yeah.)

So there it is, the insanity that is the Best of the Area. If you're super, super, super bored, then fill out a ballot! Remember: You gotta vote!

No comments:

Post a Comment