Monday, October 15, 2012

Scotland's Flower To Bloom Again?

A deal has been struck allowing Scotland to hold an independence referendum in 2014. It's going to be a single yes or no question- so it's all in or all out for the Scots.

I feel a bit mournful about all of this... I'll have to interrogate some family members from across the Pond to try and get a more accurate picture of how people feel about it but I think there's a certain amount of 'don't let the door hit you on the way out' feeling south of the border- feelings only exacerbated by the fact that Scottish MPs can still vote on matters pertaining only to England, while English MPs can no longer vote on matter that have been devolved back to the Scottish Parliament at Holyrood. There's a fundamental imbalance in the relationship right now that needs correcting somehow. (Whether through 'divorce' or some other method.)

But leaving that aside, I think my cynicism is curiously marred by a sense of curiosity about the whole thing. I'm cynical because I think people lack a certain amount of respect for history these days- nations, institutions, practices shouldn't be forgotten or cast aside quite so quickly but I also am curious because I love to watch history unfold right in front of me. I'm the type of person who'd drop anything to watch something cool happen somewhere- whether it's a ridiculous skydive from twenty four miles up, a regime change in a country long overdue or some sporting achievement that I've yet to see in my lifetime.

So it's interesting and it's kind of sad all at the same time. Both sides of my family hail from the North- Mother Cigar was actually born in Dumfries, Scotland while Father Cigar's family claims roots in Clan Nixon, an small clan along the frontier between England and Scotland- I can't claim to be either entirely Scottish or entirely English and I doubt there are many people that can (seriously- get on Ancestry.com and start tracing backwards. Bet it won't be 100% English or Scottish for long.) If I say anything about my dual citizenship or heritage, I say British because that's what seems to fit the best.

Like I said, I'm speaking from sentiment more than anything else. If the Scots really want out, I'm sure they'll go and although I'd be pretty bummed out by the end of Britain, people do have a right to self-determiniation. But a lot can change in two years and two years down the road, if the EU has managed to stablize itself suddenly independence might look a lot more attractive to Scotland. (Assuming, of course, they can get into the EU to begin with. I doubt Spain will look kindly on anything to give the Catalans any more ideas than they've already got.)

As long as the whiskey keeps flowing, I'll be fine! (Hmmm... I'd like to qualify that statement by adding: as long as they don't jack up the price.)

P.S. I'm assuming this will be their new national anthem-- gotta admit, it does stir the soul a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment