Thursday, March 31, 2011

[No subject]

I've vented way too much about Libya, but the last 24 hours and proven just as farcical as the previous three weeks have. Andrew Sullivan is shocked, shocked I say that President Obama has ordered covert assistance be given to the Libyan Rebels and is probably just as shocked that the CIA has teams on the ground in Libya.

Me, I'm stunned at the apparent naiveity of the American media and even more astounded that we seem to be announcing these things. Surely, if it's 'covert aid' then it should be, I don't know... secret?

We can debate the pros and cons of intervention in Libya until we're blue in the face, but the fact remains that in issues foreign or domestic, if the President makes a decision, he shouldn't be so damned half-assed about it. Don't start dropping bombs unless you want to go all in. You can't just hover on the edge of the pool. It makes me crazy that we look so stupid right now. This isn't leadership, it's war done by argument and it's really pissing me off.

It's very simple: of course the aim is to get rid of Qadafi. So slap a no-fly, drop some bombs and then given the Libyan people every possible tool they need to finish the job and then get the hell out of dodge.

Seems simple to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment