Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy Birthday, Italy!

Italy celebrates 150 years of unification today and as with a lot of European countries, it seems that there are times where the nation can be less of a nation and more of a family squabble than anything else- and Italy's famous North-South divide is still apparent, even 150 years after Garibaldi.

I'd like to go back to Italy. Rome was amazing- between the food, the history and the wonderful fact that we walked everywhere down these narrow, winding streets that always seemed to be hiding surprise after surprise around every corner. (My Roman Holiday Faves: Santa Sabina, The Pantheon, The Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, the food, the wine and most importantly of all, the gelato.)

But there's also more to Italy worth seeing. I'd like to go to Venice and I'd really like to see the Palio in Siena. That's definately on my bucket list.

Happy Birthday, Italy- if I can find a Peroni when I'm out on the town tonight, rest assured I'll raise a toast to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment