Thursday, March 31, 2011

The First Plan



The First Redistricting Plan was released today and I haven't heard much in the way of early reaction to it yet, but I know the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's very sexy and symmetrical. Two Republican Congressmen (King and Latham) and Two Democratic Congressmen (Loebsack and Braley) get thrown together in the new 4th and 1st Districts respectively. 3rd District Rep Boswell has to be feeling all right about this as well, as he gets to keep Polk, Dallas and Warren Counties and gets Council Bluffs and Pottawattamie County thrown in for good measure- I don't think that guarantees him a win in 2012, but it could have been a lot worse.

As for the Second District: I'm not hating it. Democrats will probably loathe and detest it- as it splits up Johnson and Linn Counties- two of what I'd imagine would be the most Democratic Counties in the State, but we picked up Newton and the Quad Cities in the bargain and generally speaking, urban areas tend to trend more towards moderation. (Though come to think of it, that isn't always true necessarily: Michelle 'CrazyPants' Bachmann represents a healthy chunk of the northwest Twin Cities Metro area.) Should this plan go through, I think the 2nd District will become tougher, but not impossible for Democrats and easier but not a sure thing for Republicans. So there's balance there again. Very sexy.

In fact, I love this plan. It's a nice, balanced plan that seems to trend towards an even split in Congressional seats. 2 Democrats and 2 Republicans (I'm betting 1 and 3 go Democrat and 4 and 2 Republican) and with a split between our Senators it seems to be promoting something sensible and quintessentially Iowan: balance and moderation.

I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment