Monday, February 14, 2011

Slicing and Dicing

You know, we do need SOME government. That's the thought that keeps ringing in my head over and over again as Republicans everywhere- including our very own group of wunderkinds in Des Moines start slicing and dicing their way through budgets across the nation. Yes, we are at a transition point in American history. We've got a 19th Century economy and a 19th Century government in a 21st Century world and it just doesn't work all that well anymore. Old manufacturing jobs are falling away and we need an education system and a governmental system that promotes creativity and innovation across the board- that's how we're going to get those shiny new jobs that President Obama likes to talk about so much.

Problem is: how do you educate and inculcate creativity and innovation in students? Go on, design a curriculum that's going to produce hundreds of little Mark Zuckerburgs, all ready to change the world with their 'big idea.' Because that's what we need. We need an economy, a government and an education system that's all geared to finding that next big idea.

Word out of Des Moines is that Our Perpetual Governor is on the march: he wants public sector employees to pay for their health insurance and he's talking getting rid of step increases all together. Once again: Conservatives take aim, fire and hit the wrong target entirely. I'm happy with my job and I'm happy with what I get paid- and if I have to wait longer for a pay raise, that's cool. If I have to pay for health insurance, that's cool too- but the long term risk and costs to the state are going to come with paying for everyone's retirement. And yes, I know iPers has recovered somewhat of late, but it's still going to be the straw that could potentially break the camel's back far more than my salary or health insurance costs. What's Our Perpetual Governor doing about that?

I want to pay for my own retirement. I don't want to rely on Social Security or any state pensions because quite frankly, I don't think they're going to be there for me. I'm willing to take that hit- in fact, I'd like to take that hit. Leave my damn insurance alone- and if you're not willing to do that, then at least give me a bienniel payraise- even if it is just a shade above covering inflation.

So I am displeased- an outright butchery of government ignores the real problem we face: how to encourage innovation and creativity in the 21st Century. Personally, I'd like to see major tax reform and if Conservatives had any sense they'd be making a serious attempt to push government out away from Washington and down to the states, cities and local level.


 

As for Our Perpetual Governor:

1. What are you doing about pensions? Pick one, please- health insurance or salaries then tackle pension reform. You say you want 'stability' and 'predictability' in education funding, how about we make sure iPers is strong for the rest of this century and get employees into the game of helping pay their way for retirement- and even raising the retirement age for younger workers might not be a bad idea. That's reasonable to me- if I live longer, I'm willing to work longer.

2. Where's YOUR pay cut? I'm not taking you seriously until you cut your salary in half and do the same for the legislators. Fiscal responsbility begins at the top and if you want us all to make sacrifices- as we should in times like these, some leadership by example would be nice.

3. About those pesky Universities... two words: ADMINSITRATIVE BLOAT! You want to know why tuition keeps going nuts? Too many Chefs in the kitchen, that's why- if you think you and the legislature are a nice layer of gristle on top of the state budget, take a hard look at how many administrators the Regents Universities have- I think you'd be surprised at how much savings are to be had.

Basically: I'm tired of Conservatives slicing at budgets with machetes. We need scalpels. Efficiency should be the order of the day- even when it comes to the cutting of the actual budgets.

No comments:

Post a Comment