Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Varnum Reaction

So far, reaction is shaking out on the internet in two ways:

First, there's this. Just perfect.

Second, there's this. I don't get this. I really don't- watch the ad and it's like those people are from Mars or something. No one- and I do mean no one that I've seen has been able to elucidate one concrete legal reason to deny gay couples marriage equality. Of the ad, there's only one back-handed reference to something I disapprove of: there was a case in MA where Catholic Charities was sued because they refused (for religious reasons) to grant gay and lesbian couples the right to adopt.

I think that the state can't make laws denying gay couples the right to adopt. But private social services organizations set their own rules and their own standards and Catholic Charities would be considered a private, religious social service organization. Attempting to force them to do something that contravenes their religious beliefs is exactly what marriage equality proponents are fighting against! Anti-gay marriage people want to force their beliefs on everyone and yet proponents do stuff like this is MA. It undercuts their argument. If a state passes a law that bans gay adoptions, then yes, sue away. But if gay marriage opponents don't have the right to force their beliefs on anyone, then the obverse is true as well.

Plus, Catholic Charities has since stopped adoptions in MA. Incalculable damage done because of a lawsuit and wanting people to adhere to a narrow set of beliefs.

That's where I get off the bus. But broadly speaking, it's been almost a week now and I'm neither afraid nor seen any storm clouds on the horizon. And... yep, wedding ring is still on my finger. Again, if gay marriage opponents want me to take them seriously, then I need concrete, factual proof that gay marriage is going to hurt my marriage and my family. So far, it's done neither.

No comments:

Post a Comment