Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fireproof



The Missus and I watched Fireproof the other night and it was a surprisingly good movie. If you're grasping at the straw for how to save/make a relationship better, it might be worth a watch. Most people, when they hear it's a 'Christian movie' with Kirk Cameron roll their eyes or say 'ewww...' a natural reaction, I suppose in the world we live in today. (Could I just say it's sort of weird how America is a deeply religious country and yet people can get very uncomfortable with public displays of faith?) I'll admit, that was my initial reaction too-- but I was pleasantly surprised.

Fireproof works on two levels. If you're a person of faith, then this movie will resonate deeply with you. I'm fairly libertarian with my spirituality- to me, faith is something deeply, deeply personal- so I tend to like my theology with a lighter touch- and the theology of Fireproof is fairly heavy handed. The acting and the dialogue are fairly clunky as well (the theme of the movie: Never leave your partner behind. Especially in a fire. I know that because Kirk Cameron says it at the opening of the film- like a thesis statement- and re-states it word for word at the end of the film-- also just like a thesis statement! How about that!)

But what I took away from the movie is this:

Faith can move mountains.

Can it save marriages? Sure. Do I think it's a universal solution? I do not. But the message of the movie also works on another level- I think in the society we live in, marriage is tough because we've been raised by a generation that is self-centered and has imposed that on the next generation- and marriage is essentially about something more than you and what you want. There's no 'I' in team- and marriage makes you a team. It also makes another good point that a lot of people just have a bad patch and that's that. Bam. Divorce. People give up a little too soon- and if it's your marriage, I think the movie makes a good point that's its worth fighting to save.

At the very least, you shouldn't give up without a fight.

Is it a cinematic masterpiece? No. Is it entertaining? Mildly so. Does it make you think? Yes, it does. It's worth a peek.

No comments:

Post a Comment