Thursday, September 16, 2010

Still Growing...

The Board of Regents have approved the University Hospital's application for a $280 million grant for a free-standing Children's Hospital. Why? I don't know... the UIHC is seeing an increase in patient volume that's leaving them short-handed, so they're hiring more nurses and now they want to expand their already gargantuan hospital.

Seriously now. Can't we be happy with what we have? I know the UIHC provides quality medical care and all and I'm happy they're good at what they do, but another tower? A free-standing Children's Hospital? Is there really a desperate need for it? And more to the point, just where the heck are they going to build it? The article linked above says a free-standing tower south of UIHC Parking Lot 2. I don't know what exactly that means, but if they mean Ramp 2, then it's either going to grow, tumor like out of the Pomerantz Family Care Pavillion or take out the Cambus turnaround.

Either way it's another step towards my final prediction for the future: someday, Kinnick Stadium will be the only Division I football stadium in the country completely surrounded by a hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment