Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shock (Stop The Presses!)

The UI Student Government officially voted against the 21-only ordinance, which should surprise absolutely no one. Stop the presses on that one! But what did raise my eyebrows was this little piece of information:
Also at the meeting, Patel put forward and student government voted to provide $10,000 in funding to a student group for getting out the vote effort aimed at students.

Am I the only one that thinks that this seems to be a little dodgy? I mean, OK, if a group of students had come to UISG asking for recognition and funding as an official group that would be one thing. But this reads like the UISG to vote to fund its very own Political Action Committee, which I'm totally not down with. I'm not sure where I'm going to come down on the 21-only issue yet, primarily because I'm over 21 and I can drink legally wherever the hell I want too, but things like this give me pause. The UISG was far from unanimous on this vote (it was 16-9 against 21-only) and it appears that there's a significant minority of students who are fine with 21-only...

I don't know. It seems dodgy to me... I could be wrong though. But that's a lot of cash to fund a get-out-the-vote effort- cash from student activity fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment