Wednesday, September 1, 2010

2012 Watch

Put this name on your radar screen, ladies and gentlemen. Gary E. Johnson, former Governor of New Mexico... if, like me, your first reaction was 'who the hell is Gary Johnson?' then I wouldn't be all that surprised, but there's a quiet buzz, especially amongst libertarian leaning Republicans out there and rumors that he could emerge (assuming Ron Paul doesn't run again) as the 'next Ron Paul' in the Republican race in 2012. He paid us a visit here in Iowa City which made the front page of the Daily Iowan. Keep an eye out for this guy and learn some more about him. He sounds fairly sensible to me.

In other news, Sarah Palin is headlining the Iowa GOP's Reagen Dinner on September 17th, which pundits have taken to mean is a significant step towards possibly launching her own Presidential campaign. It's worth noting that no Reagen Dinner headliner has won the GOP nomination, which hasn't stopped several from trying, but I remain divided about Palin. With Grandmothers, a mother, two sisters, a wife and two just turned four months old nieces, it would be extremely difficult for me not to vote for a qualified woman. Whether she's the right person for the job is still an open question to me, but I don't think you pass that up, not for the first woman President in the history of the Republic. If she gets the nomination, I'm sure I'll be debating that point more extensively.

Yes kids, its not even 2011 yet and the Presidential caucus circus is starting to drift back into town. Depressing, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment