Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Um Yeah, About 'Girls'...

Three minutes into the pilot episode of HBO's critical darling Girls, I was already annoyed. Is this really what my generation is supposed to be like? Seriously? Superficial, unemployed, totally useless hipsters that have no life skills whatsoever. At 29, I'm not going to claim that I've got my shit together but Jesus Wept... if I expected my parents to support me for two years after I graduated college while I 'found myself' they would have laughed my ass out of the house. And still said 'no.' Probably with a hearty expletive attached to the declarative negative.

Maybe it's the fact that the show is called Girls and it largely revolves around it's mostly female cast. Maybe it's a 'men are from Mars, women are from Venus' kind of thing and I'm just missing out on something. I'll have to consult with the Missus on this just to double check.

Our main character? Hannah played by Lena Dunham is an English major working an unpaid internship in New York. She's got a fuck buddy (not a boyfriend. Just someone she has sex with when she's bored or something) called Adam who is a total douchebag and she expects- EXPECTS her parents to support her while she lives in Manhattan 'finding herself' and writing a novel. She actually has the balls to go to her parents (while high on opium) and declare herself 'the voice of her generation' and ask for $1100 a month from them for the next two years while she finishes her novel.

What. The. Fuckity. Fuck.

There are a couple of other of the titular Girls floating around. Marnie has a decent if perhaps overly corny boyfriend who she's getting ready to dump. (Because this show has no time for guys that actually treat their girlfriends with a certain level of decency and respect. Oh no, bring on the douche parade because that's what the hipster women like, I guess.) British 'Girl' Jessa moves to town and moves in with her cousin whom I guess is called Shoshanna? Jenna's pretentious, annoying and like a lot of other characters in this show completely unbearable. (Oh and she's pregnant. I assume there's going to be a bonding episode involving a like totally emo trip to the abortion clinic at some future episode.)

I don't know. Color me unimpressed- but the show is called Girls and I am not a girl. I'm totally willing to admit that I've missed something here and maybe subsequent episodes improve or at least get less annoying than this.

There's an amazing blog out there called 'People I Want To Punch In The Throat' you could probably add all of these people to that list. I had sympathy for none of them. I mean, you're living in Manhattan. Of course it's fucking expensive. If you don't like, don't just whine and get all emo about your lack of money- MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE AND GET A FUCKING JOB. I know every show like this claims to be the show that 'defines a generation' and there's probably some truth to that when applied to this show (and that's the really scary part) but seriously: if this is actually representative of my generation- and not just the rich, white (oh so very, very white... the slams against the show for being super-white are well earned. The only African-American in the pilot is a homeless dude outside a hotel), upper-middle class scions of East Coast Liberal Elitism, then the Republic is totally doomed. It's game over, man and start learning Mandarin because this country is totally effed. Hard. In the b.

But the soundtrack's decent. I'll give it that.

No comments:

Post a Comment