Thursday, December 20, 2012

On New Bak'Tun's Eve...

So I'v been trying to decipher this Long Count Calendar business for awhile now and I haven't had any luck. Just looking at it gives me a headache. For instance, today at 10PM... that would be: 12.19.19.17.19 I don't even know where to start with that. Puts me in mind of the Stardate thing from Star Trek- which I have a sneaking suspicion they just make up randomly, despite what I'm sure are many perfectly logical explanations out there on the Interwebs.

Is it the Apocalypse? Is it curtains tomorrow? I seriously doubt it... for a start the Long Count calendar is a base-20 calendar so the big big end, their millenium if you will comes I would have thought comes at the end of the 19th Bak'Tun which will be on Friday, October 13th 4772. What tomorrow marks is the end of a great cycle of Bak'tuns... there's really nothing to indicate that the Apocalypse is gonna go down tomorrow. (And today's Mayans have said that this Apocalypse business is entirely our invention, not theirs.) Stories of planets crashing into us seem silly as at this point, with hours to go I feel sure that someone would have noticed a planet somewhere.

Flipping the magnetic poles? They think that's a longer process- not an instantaneous one like in the ridiculous movie 2012. (Neutrinos pass harmlessly through the Earth... they're not going to suddenly just stop doing that randomly, apropos of nothing.)

There's a village in France where people have gathered, convinced that tomorrow, the garage in the depths of a nearby mountain will fly open and the aliens will take the lucky few to be spared from the Apocalypse. Everybody seriously needs to calm down. The sun will rise tomorrow as it usually does- I'll probably have to snow blow again and life will continue, per normal.

Plus, if the end of the Mayan Calendar is at the exact moment of the Winter Solstice, I'll probably be in bed asleep since it'll be about 6:00 AM, Central Time if I'm converting from UTC correctly. (Which there's a decent chance I'm not.) So the way I figure, if I wake up tomorrow and the world is still in one piece, we should be good to go.

(The Quiet Man sketched out some possibilities for his last meal... I'd have to kick it old school and go simple: a nice fresh warm loaf of Mother Cigar's bread with a plate of my favorite cheeses (brie, gorgonzola, stilton, English cheddar, goat's cheese, camembert, gouda) and some nice hard salami. Oh and a bottle of this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment