Friday, December 7, 2012

The Joy of Disney

I saw a couple of days ago that Disney had done a deal with Netflix for the rights to it's movies- Netflix beating out Starz and other cable channels to land the big juicy prize. I didn't expect that the initial wave of movies would be on Netflix already... I'm assuming bigger named, more recent movies will be forthcoming over the next couple of years but I was pleased to see that two of my favorite Disney movies were included in the first wave: The Rescuers Down Under and The Great Mouse Detective.

I'm also hoping for the Disney television trifecta of Tale Spin, Duck Tails and Chip N'Dale: Rescue Rangers to show up at some point as well as the most underrated Disney movie of them all: Atlantis: The Lost Empire. (Seriously- Atlantis: The Lost Empire was a total surprise to me. A hand drawn throwback in the age of CGI that was actually pretty damn good when it was released in 2001.)

It's been awhile since I've gotten my Disney on so I've forgotten just how dark some Disney movies can be. (I mean, the Rescuers Down Under- poaching and kidnapping? George C. Scott is brilliant at the voice of McCleach the poacher. Though I'd be interested in knowing just how big Golden Eagles are. Marahute carries the kid around like he's nothing. That's one big-ass bird.) And I think The Great Mouse Detective is a fine Disney-fied adaptation of Sherlock Holmes.

Before they had the string of massive blockbusters in the 90s, Disney produced some damn good movies that get lost in the shuffle a lot. The true joy of Disney is rediscovering those hidden gems.

No comments:

Post a Comment