Tuesday, December 27, 2011

No More Mix 96.5

Yep, they've gone country.

I can't say this causes me any serious pain- but I can sympathize. One of the more cringeworthy, W-T-F moments of my young life was when Q103 home of Open House Party and some show with Rick Deez that also rocked my face off on my junior high weekends also briefly went country. They're now happily z102.9 again but the old magic just isn't quite the same anymore. The Top 8 At 8 used to be hard- it used to be ALL 8 SONGS IN 30 SECONDS or something like that- none of this 'take as much time as you need crap' and if you got one even just a little bit wrong, tough titties. Now it's like the Top 5 At 9 or something like that. Just weird. And Open House Party? No idea where to listen to it now...

So, fans of Mix 96.5: I feel your pain.

However, to be totally honest, I never really clicked into your station back in the day really. It seemed to play a lot of late 80s stuff which I didn't dig all that much at the time- and more softer contemporary rock. I remember listening to that old chestnut: 'In The House Of Stone And Light' (remember that song? Anyone? Remember who sang it?) on Mix 96.5 and digging it for about a minute or so before it just got all weird and new agey and I stopped caring about it. (Though interestingly: I was reading 'The Dragon Reborn' by Robert Jordan at the time and there was lots of vivid imagery of the Stone of Tear as a fortress of stone and light... so it made sense in a weird way to me. Even though that damn Wheel of Time Series still hasn't finished yet.)

But, alas, another fortress of my youth wanders off into the mists of history. Yea, verily we will mourn the loss of Mix 96.5 and think of it fondly from time to time. In the meantime, KISS COUNTRY is here to stay, y'all...

No comments:

Post a Comment