Thursday, January 23, 2014

What I'm Reading #2


There are times when I both love and hate Wikipedia...  this, I'm afraid is one of those times.   You see, I'm terrible when it comes to spoilers.  I have this weird tick where if it's not a television show or a book I'm seriously invested in, I like to look up what happens next- which, if you don't mind spoilers is okay, but when you're dealing with a book like Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, it becomes absolutely torturous.

I'm on about Chapter Six now and I still have no idea what's going on.   I know something is going on.  I know it's probably somewhat sinister in nature, but the way Ishiguro builds the narrative, the reader is swept along with the other characters are they put together the mystery of idyllic Hailsham School where they had all grown up together before some of them head out into the world to be 'carers' and others start to give 'donations.'

But here's the thing that's fascinating so far:  Ishiguro doesn't present this as a mystery, instead, it reads like a coming of age story.  Kathy, Ruth, Tommy and the others are growing up and struggling to discover who they are and what their purpose in life is meant to be.   The older they get, the more questions they seem to have about Halisham and the true nature of the school and their fates, but at this point in the book, I feel like it's just a matter of time before they figure it out or maybe they've known all along and it'll be just a matter of time before I figure it out.  Either way, something awesome promises to come at the end of this book.

I'll confess...  I've never read any of Ishiguro's other novels before, but I think that's something I might have to remedy.  I'm 26% of the way through according to Goodreads and I can't wait to finish this and find out what conclusion this masterful author has in store for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment