Thursday, January 9, 2014

Food Adventures #37: Anchor Christmas Ale 2013

I forgot to do this over Christmas, so we settled for New Year's instead- yes, it's the annual, Anchor Christmas Ale tasting- where I drink a bottle of last year's version (kept around and in our fridge for a year, give or take) and compare it to this year's version...  (brought early last month when I noticed it had finally arrived.)   Behold, the Anchor Christmas Ale 2013 tasting:


After some deliberation and consultation with the Missus, I came to the conclusion that this was a match-up of Christmas Tree (or possibly candy cane) versus Christmas Pudding...  I'll tell you why after my sketchy tasting notes:

2012
Nose:  notes of chocolate immediately apparent- nutmeg more than cinnamon, spice-wise and some kind of fruit.  I didn't want to say cherries but raisins/figs didn't seem quite right either.  Maybe plums?  Whatever it is, it's a dark fruit.  The Missus thought she smelled root beer, which also seemed right to me.

Taste: Spice, spice, spice--  lots of nutmeg in the taste, but a little smoother after a year aging.  There's something earthy, almost piney about it- which does, as I said above, bring to mind a Christmas tree in beer form.

2013
Nose:  cinnamon leaps out right away and you can tell it's not as strong as the '12 when it comes to spices/flavors.  But there's also an odd yeasty undertone to it that brought to mind cake batter or possibly bread dough- though we couldn't rule out marzipan either.  (I will consult with The Quiet Man about this...  might have to try another bottle just to make sure it's not a skunky/bum one, you know?)

Taste:  Much, much smoother than the '12 and more pleasant to drink as a result.  Initial taste brings notes of chocolate to the forefront but that fades to be replaced by predominantly coffee. 

Verdict: '13 over '12- and I have plenty of bottles left of both! I'm feeling like a triple header next year, just to be crazy about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment